Sunday, January 30, 2011

February 2011 Newsletter


FROM THE PASTOR: What Does Love Mean?
A group of professional people posed that question to a group of 4-8 year olds. The answers they got were broader and deeper than anyone could have imagined. See what you think.
“There are two kinds of love. Our love. God’s love. But God makes both kinds of them.” Jenny, age 4
“I let my big sister pick on me because my Mom says she only picks on me because she loves me. So I pick on my baby sister because I love her.” Bethany, age 4
“Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well.” Tommy, age 6
“If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend whom you hate.” Nikka, age 6
“When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You know that your name is safe in their mouth.” Billy, age 4
“You really shouldn’t say ‘I love you’ unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget. Jessica, age 8

FELLOWSHIP DINNER
The fellowship dinner for February will be held Wednesday February 2nd at 6:30 pm in the fellowship hall. Everyone is welcome, even if you don’t have time to make something to bring. 
SHUT IN OF THE MONTH
All during the month we will collect special items for our Shut In of the Month—cards, candy, a book, cookies, a nice bookmark, whatever you decide. You can give these items to Jennifer Lee, or put them in the basket in the entryway to the sanctuary. At the end of the month a basket of these love gifts will be taken to that Shut In. The Shut In for the month of February is Herbie & Corrine Yunker.

FELLOWSHIP BIBLE STUDY GATHERING
 
Those interested in a time of sharing, praying, and fellowshipping together are welcome to gather at the home of Henry Procopio on Wednesday February 16th at 6:30pm. This is a monthly gathering but anyone is welcome to come whenever they can come. The group is studying the Gospel of Mark. You can start at anytime. Desserts are provided.

 
UPCOMING DATES

March 9th Combined Ash Wednesday Service at St. Andrew


CHURCH CLEANING SCHEDULE

For February 6th Donna & Trent 
For February 13th Janice & Kara
For February 20th Martha & Henry
For February 27th Gene Biggs
For March 6th Matt & Renee


COMMUNION



We will celebrate Communion on Sunday, February 6th.


 





WHERE THERE’S A WILL THERE’S A WAY

Did you know that you can name the church as a beneficiary of your estate in several ways? Consider gifting the church a specific amount, a percentage of your estate, the remainder of the estate after other gifts are
made, or gifts whose beneficiaries predecease you.


JOELTON HOPE CENTER –Neighbors Helping Neighbors

The Hope Center is located 212 Gifford Place, between Curves and the Laundromat! It is a larger and nicer facility than our starting place and it has better parking. Denise Martin of Beech Grove UMC is the Director of the Hope Center. There are now over 100 client families being helped by our center.


A barrel is in the entryway of the church to receive donations for the Joelton Hope Center. [You can also take them directly to the Hope Center.] For the month of February we will be collecting Spring Cleaning items—brooms, mops, window cleaner, floor cleaner, bleach, ammonia, bathroom
cleaners, toilet brushes and toilet cleaner.

The Hope Center has new hours. It is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10-4 and 10-2 Saturday while we are on Central Standard Time. The Hope Center Board set a goal of being open 6 days a week in 2011 so additional volunteers are needed any day Monday-Saturday.

The Hope Center email address is: JoeltonHopeCenter@comcast.net.




MEMBER ADDRESSES NEEDED

The church is responsible for keeping up with its members’ addresses even if they move. We are missing addresses for the following members: Charlie Brown, Mitch and Vickie Skelton, Lois Harper and Patricia Adcock. If you can get an address and phone number for any of these people please write it down and give
it to the pastor.


SOUPERBOWL SUNDAY

Yes, that is spelled correctly! While many families will be feasting at a Superbowl party the afternoon of February 6th, many other families will go hungry. A youth group came up with the idea of using that Sunday to collect canned goods and cash for organizations that will help the needy.

So, we invite you to bring canned goods and cash for a special collection Sunday February 6th for our Joelton Hope Center.


NURTURE COMMITTEE MEETING

The Nurture committee will meet on Thursday February 10th at 6:30pm to plan nurture activities for the year. Members of the committee are: Brenda Alcorn, Jennifer lee, Barbara Powell, Dee Randolph, Martha Neeley, Mary Beth Riley and Donna Kemp.


FINANCE COMMITTEE MEETING
The Finance Committee will meet on Thursday February 24th to plan fundraiser plans for the year. Members of the committee are: Henry Procopio, Vickie Kegerise, Sandra Robinson, Brenda Alcorn, Charles Powell, Tim & Beverly Garrett, Teresa Shepherd and Doug Baxter.


KEEP COLLECTING THOSE LABELS AND STAMPS

A shipment of labels that was collected all last year was shipped to the Red Bird Mission in Kentucky in January. Those labels are a valuable contribution to the ongoing work of the Red Bird Mission school, a United Methodist mission project, in one of the poorest areas of our country. So keep collecting Campbells’s products “Label’s for Education” with the UPC codes attached and also collect “Box Tops for Education” from General Mills products.

We also collect used postage stamps (other than flag stamps or forever stamps) for a senior citizen outreach project in Florida where they sell the used stamps to stamp companies and the funds are used to purchase Spanish language Sunday School materials for children in Latin America.

Colored buckets to collect the labels and stamps are located in the narthex under the table.



THE LAW OF THE GARBAGE TRUCK

One day I hopped in a taxi and we took off for the airport. We were driving in the right lane when
suddenly a black car pulled out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches! The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was really friendly.
So I asked, “Why did you just do that? That guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!” This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, “The Law of the Garbage Truck.”
He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of
frustration, full of anger, full of bitterness, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it and sometimes they’ll dump it on you. Don’t take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Don’t take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home or on the streets.
The bottom line is that successful people don’t let garbage trucks take over their day. Life’s too
short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so:
Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don’t and love them, too. Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it! Have a blessed, garbage-free-day!—Author Unknown

HEAVEN’S GROCERY STORE
As I was walking down life's highway many years ago 
I came upon a sign that read Heavens Grocery Store.
When I got a
little closer the doors swung open wide
And when I came
to myself I was standing inside.

I saw a host of Angels.
They were
standing everywhere
One handed me a
basket
And said 'My
child shop with care.'

Everything a human needed was in that grocery store
And what you
could not carry you could come back for more
First I got some
patience. Love was in that same row.

Further down was
understanding, you need that everywhere you go.
I got a box or two of Wisdom and Faith a bag or two.
And Charity of
course I would need some of that too.
I couldn't miss
the Holy Ghost it was all over the place.
And then some
strength and courage to help me run this race.
My basket was
getting full but I remembered I needed Grace,

And then I chose salvation for salvation was for free
I tried to get
enough of that to do for you and me.
Then I started to the counter to pay my grocery bill,
For I thought I
had everything to do the Masters will.

As I went up the aisle I saw Prayer and put that in,
For I knew when I
stepped outside I would run into sin.
Peace and Joy
were plentiful, the last things on the shelf. 
Song and Praise were hanging near so I just helped myself.

Then I said to the angel 'Now how much do I owe?'
He smiled and
said 'Just take them everywhere you go.'
Again I asked 'Really now,
how much do I owe?'
'My child' he
said, 'God paid your bill a long long time ago.'

And now for a little chuckle in your day. . .
Creation
On the first day, God created the dog and said: "Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a life span of
twenty years."
The dog said: "That's a long time to be barking. How about only ten years and I'll give you back the other ten?"
So God agreed.
On the second day, God created the monkey and said:"Entertain people, do tricks, and make them laugh. For this, I'll give you a twenty-year life span."
The monkey said: "Monkey tricks for twenty years? That's a pretty long time to perform. How about I give you back ten like the Dog did?"
And God agreed.
On the third day, God created the cow and said: "You must go into the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give milk to support the farmer's family. For this, I will give you a life span of sixty years."
The cow said: "That's kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years. How about twenty and I'll give back the other forty?"
And God agreed again.
On the fourth day, God created man and said: "Eat, sleep, play, marry and enjoy your life. For this, I'll give you twenty years."
But man said: "Only twenty years? Could you possibly give me my twenty, the forty the cow gave back, the ten the monkey gave back, and the ten the dog gave back; that makes eighty, okay?"
"Okay," said God, "You asked for it."
So that is why for our first twenty years we eat, sleep, play and enjoy ourselves. For the next forty years we slave in the sun to support our family. For the next ten years we do monkey tricks to entertain the grandchildren. And for the  last ten years we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone.
Life has now been explained to you.





No comments:

Post a Comment